King Harbor’s finest seafood market, Quality Seafood, Inc. has supplied the South Bay with the freshest seafood since 1953. It all began in 1897 when great grandfather Petar Dragich came to America from Yugoslavia. He worked in the mines of Montana and gained his citizen ship in one of the local’s bars, which is where they were being given for lack of a better place. He brought his eldest son Nick with him, and in 1913 sent for the rest of the family and moved to Seattle.
There, Patar began purse-seining out of a small skiff and was noted in the local journals as the father of the purse-seining (a form of fishing using nets) on the West Coast. His fishing brought him as far down south as San Pedro and eventually he fell in love with the area, moving his family to San Pedro.
His eldest son Nick took on the family fishing tradition of the family with his son Pete Dragich Sr. Together, they left fishing and decided to bring the freshest seafood from the boats to Redondo Beach. Before the redevelopment of the Redondo Beach King Harbor, the Dragich family owned and operated four seafood separate markets: Western Fish & Seafood, Quality Seafood, Western Smoked Fish and Weddington & McFarland. Combining them all and relocating to Redondo Beach’s International Boardwalk, the new seafood market created one of the largest retail seafood markets on the West Coast, now known as Quality Seafood.